Who We Are
We are a group of professionals who are specialists in the treatment of Eating Disorders. We have created a safe space for you to explore your personal issues and find ways to heal. We provide you with the tools you will need to be successful on your journey to recovery, we support you where you are now and every step along the way. Many of our staff have had eating disorders and have fully recovered and they bring their compassion and understanding to the work they do with their clients.
What We Believe
We believe that Eating Disorders have many causes and dimensions which impact your ability to function emotionally, mentally, spiritually, physically, and socially in your day-to-day life. Many feel out of control around food and eating, and they have tried to recover on their own, only to find that complications from malnutrition or emotional distress are barriers to healing. We all need support and guidance on the path of recovery, and Casa Serena is the answer to that need!
We believe that family involvement is a key component in your recovery. We focus strongly on family participation, offering a family group that meets weekly, as well as individual family sessions when needed. It is often the case that the whole family needs attention for the individual to heal completely. Family is also defined as your support system, which could be a partner, spouse, significant other or dear friend.
Why We Are Here
We are here to provide an intensive alternative treatment. Many of our clients have been in Inpatient or Residential programs out of the area, and they find when they return home that they need further support as they reintegrate back into their lives. Our intensive outpatient program provides a “step down” from inpatient care. If you have been working Outpatient and feel you need more support or intervention to help progress in your recovery then we are here for you and we provide a “step up program.” Wherever you are on your path we are here to provide support and guidance.
How We Address Your Needs
If you are not able to seek residential treatment at this time because of financial or other limitations, we provide an affordable and accessible alternative. For those living in and near the Bay Area, Casa Serena provides a safe and supportive environment for treatment without leaving family or support systems.
We are also designed to address the needs of the student, the employee, and the parent who has children at home during the day. The Intensive Outpatient Program offers evening groups during the week. Participants receive a dinner meal and take part in meal outings to local area restaurants to help them normalize eating patterns. The program includes a weekly individual therapy session and weekly dietary consultation. The average length of stay is eight to ten weeks, but we have found that most people will benefit from twelve to fourteen weeks in our program. During the initial intake evaluation our goal is to develop an individualized treatment plan for each client.
Our Philosophies About Eating Disorders, Recovery and the Treatment Process
- Eating Disorders are multi-dimensional and multi-determined disorders which impact your ability to function physically, emotionally, socially and mentally, and this impact can often put you in medical or emotional jeopardy.
- The physio-psychological dynamics of the disorder lead you to escalate the eating disorder behavior because when you are under stress emotionally.
- The causal factors are based on maladaptive responses to interpersonal and intra-psychic issues that are translated into weight, food and body image obsessions which leads you to engage in self-destructive behaviors which can place you in a medically or emotionally compromising position.
- Eating Disorder behavior often has an addictive quality to it. If you are struggling with an Eating Disorder you may “feel out of control” or unable to manage this behavior in your day-to-day life.
- Many people struggling with Eating Disorders have tried to recover on their own, only to find that the complications from the malnutrition or emotional distress make it virtually impossible to do, which in turn may escalate the Eating Disorder behaviors and symptoms.
- Eating Disorders are life-threatening diseases, which can and do lead to serious physical and emotional impairment and even death if untreated.
- Effective treatment involves a safe, supportive and structured environment where clients can receive sensible nutritional rehabilitation and psychological assistance to identify the underlying issues that drive the Eating Disorder behavior. It also includes assisting clients to develop self-nurturing and positive adaptive behaviors and activities to fully recover.
- The recovery process can begin when eating disordered individuals are separated from their current daily routines and treated in a focused environment that helps to develop more positive adaptive behaviors to stabilize physical and emotional health.
- In treatment, integrity and sense of self should be maintained at all times. At Casa Serena all individuals will be seen as worthwhile and valuable, with unique needs and desires.
- The families, loved ones and support system of those in recovery also need support and extensive education regarding the dynamics of Eating Disorders as well as their own roles in the recovery process.
- It is important to address the spiritual aspects of recovery through combining various modalities like relaxation training, meditation and prayer as ways to develop a deeper connection to your spiritual life.
Casa Serena Eating Disorders Program serves the Bay Area in California including Concord, Pleasant Hill, Walnut Creek, Lafayette, Pittsburg, Antioch, Berkeley, Martinez, Clyde Bay Point, Avon, Port Chicago, Alamo, Orinda, Clayton, Shore Acres, Vallejo, Richmond, San Francisco, and all surrounding cities.
1868 Clayton Road, Suite 123 Concord, CA 94520